Friday, May 4, 2012

Spanish

I think I'm just one of those people that second languages don't come easy for.  Before coming to Panama the last time I spoke Spanish was in high school 7 years ago.  I feel like I lost so much in those 7 years and I'm practically back to the basics.  It's been difficult building deeper relationships with people when all the topics you converse about it are weather, their job, or fruits every time you see them. I think Brennan and I have it even tougher as a married couple because we use English with each other on a regular basis.  For those volunteers alone in their site they don't have the luxury of using English and are forced to live outside their comfort zone in order to communicate.  Those other volunteers will probably see faster results than we will since our Spanish frequency isn't as consistent.  However, I have tried to be diligent this past week and review a book our friend Alberto gave us.  The book is title English and it's meant for beginning Spanish speakers who want to learn English, but I'm cheating and using it for the reverse.  It goes over everything from past, present, future tenses to verbs that are commonly used in all those tenses.  I don't care if it's meant for kids I love it!  I feel like I'm learning things I should have learned years ago in Spanish class but happened to miss.  So even though the Spanish is going slow at least I have some help to get me though it:)

Notice the pronunciation in the middle.  I think it's hilarious trying to sound it out to make English sentences.

When I copy things down I tend to remember them better.


1 comment:

  1. No recuerdo mucho español de la escuela secundaria ya sea

    ReplyDelete