Saturday, April 14, 2012

Fear of bichos




Some examples of what you can find in Panama



Many of you know that Panama is a very diverse country from it's plant species, to it's birds, all the way to it's insects. As most of you already know I'm not a bug kind of gal. My initial reaction when spotting a spider or any insect as a matter of fact is to leap in the air, let out a girly yelp, and run to the highest furniture available. Man oh man how Panama is testing me. Not only do the little spiders like to come out and play at night, but also the cockroaches seem to gravitate towards me. I must say we've had it pretty plush here at our host family's house with glass windows and a door that shuts the bugs out....well most of them. We don't even need to use our mosquito net to repel the mosquitoes, spiders, and scorpions. I'm not sure if we'll have it this good in our house when we move in 2 months, however I've come to realize I need to as the saying goes "toughen up buttercup." I must admit I have improved a bit since being here in Panama for the first 3 months. I didn't run out from my shower naked when a cockroach appeared out of thin air, I didn't leap from bed to bed while evading the floor when the huge a spider ran across the cement, and I passed by only slightly jogging as the tarantula sat in my pathway. Hey I'm working on it. My goal in the next couple months is to be able to kill a cockroach on my own. Yes Brennan has been my knight in shinning armor and proceeds to kill the bugs for me, but for some reason I have this deep fear of actually killing the little buggers myself. I think it's mostly I don't want to hear the loud crunch it makes or see the legs squirming when it's half dead. Or maybe it's that I feel bad for the little guys..............um no that's not it. I may be ruthless, but at least I leave the dirty work for someone else. I can't complain about coming out clean handed (or clean shoed) every time. Okay okay I will learn to be a cold blooded killer of insects by the time I return to the States I promise you that.

                                      I do appreciate some insects more than others

1 comment:

  1. viva la entomologist! Lacey you are on your way, you go girl - Jim

    ReplyDelete